On 2/8/10 6:58 PM, Geoff McLane wrote:
> As you have read, I have suggested that we abort
> during the configure step in case of this 'no',
> for this important library, but that is only a
> 'choice'.
>
> If the person 'sees' the 'no', says oops, and does
> something to fix it, like install the OSG libraries
> in a 'standard' place... then there is no reason to
> have aborted the configure step... and they can
> continue with make...
>
> But I agree, it does seem better to abort, but not
> essential.

I think it is helpful to actually report potential problems found in the
end of the configure script. For each important 'no' found a flag can be
set and in the end of the configure script a warning message AC_MSG_WARN
(or a fatal message AC_MSG_ERROR) can be displayed to inform the user
that there are unresolved issues. The problem is that there are quite a
few 'no's that are not fatal and for newcomers to fg/sg it is not easy
to understand which 'no' to ignore.

Personally I keep track of failed checks and report them in the end of
my configure.ac's. I even conclude with printing all important variables
like

# Some more messages.
AC_MSG_NOTICE([
Ready to compile the executables of svndigest $VERSION
The following flags and libs will be used:
   Compiler:           $CXX
   Preprocessor flags: $SD_CPPFLAGS $CPPFLAGS
     CPPFLAGS:         $CPPFLAGS
     DEFAULT_CPPFLAGS: $DEFAULT_CPPFLAGS
     APR_CPPFLAGS:     $APR_CPPFLAGS
     SVN_CPPFLAGS:     $SVN_CPPFLAGS
     PLPLOT_CPPFLAGS:  $PLPLOT_CPPFLAGS
   C++ flags:
     CXXFLAGS:         $CXXFLAGS
     DEFAULT_CXXFLAGS: $DEFAULT_CXXFLAGS
   Linker flags:
     LDFLAGS:          $LDFLAGS
     APR_LDFLAGS:      $APR_LDFLAGS
     SVN_LDFLAGS:      $SVN_LDFLAGS
     PLPLOT_LDFLAGS:   $PLPLOT_LDFLAGS
   Libraries:
     LIBS              $LIBS
     APR_LIBS          $APR_LIBS
     SVN_LIBS          $SVN_LIBS
     PLPLOT_LIBS       $PLPLOT_LIBS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++]dnl
)

and I even end with

AC_MSG_NOTICE([Now type 'make all check'.])

to indicate what the user should do next. Of course, any fatal failures
will make configure to not display the last message.

sg/fg configure.ac is not providing the above service (sg/fg does print
some final messages) is not a bug but could be added to some list as a
feature request.

Cheers,

Jari