On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 11:22 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> Geoff McLane wrote:
>
> > That is can we instruct cmake to go native ;=))
> > and thus on 64-bit system not generate yet 'another'
> > folder name?
>
> Yup, as already mentioned, adding
>
>   -D LIB_POSTFIX=""
>
> to the 'cmake' command line should do the job (as far as I remember
> it's been added upon my very own request  ;-)
>
>       Martin.

Hi Martin,

Yes, you had mentioned this before, but I had missed
its significance... sorry.

It seems OSG cmake does offer GOOD information, if you
take the time to READ it ;=))

<quote>
The build system is configured to instal libraries to /usr/local/lib64
Your applications may not be able to find your installed libraries
unless you:
    set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (user specific) or
    update your ld.so configuration (system wide)
You have an ld.so.conf.d directory on your system, so if you wish to
ensure that
applications find the installed osg libraries, system wide, you could
install a
openscenegraph specific ld.so configuration with:
    sudo make install_ld_conf

-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/geoff/fg/fg8/OSG282
NOTE WELL: Read the above CAREFULLY. It may contain warnings, and
important advice.
</quote>

And of course I have to ADMIT, this is the first time
I have stopped to READ IT ALL CAREFULLY ;=() My big
'makefg' build script has a NOPAUSE switch, which I
certainly use far _TOO_ often so it all flashes by...

It not only warns about the -
'/usr/local/lib64' but goes on to tell you how to
set it up system wide for runtime :-
 sudo make install_ld_conf
Fantastic stuff...

Of course I already override the install to
/usr/local/lib64 with my cmake :-
 -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=$prefix
and now I have added your -
 -D LIB_POSTFIX=""

BUT, YUK, YUK, YUK, it generated an ERROR on OSG install!!!
It seems somehow the "" got added so it generated
a BAD command line in file cmake_install.cmake :-
  FILE(INSTALL DESTINATION "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib""/pkgconfig"
TYPE FILE FILES...
instead of probably
  FILE(INSTALL DESTINATION "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/pkgconfig" TYPE
FILE FILES...

UGH! So now I am trying with just :-
 -D LIB_POSTFIX=

This looks, feels like a cmake bug???