On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Curtis Olson <curtol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Csaba Halász wrote:
>>
>> On native 64 bits systems there is no point in having a separate /lib
>> and /lib64 - I certainly don't see any. Debian does provide the
>> symlinks as I said.
>
> You can't ever think of a situation where you might need 64 bit and 32 bit
> versions of the same library?  Not if you build everything 64bit clean from
> scratch which debian can probably do for their base installation.  But what
> do you do if you want to install some precompiled application where source
> code is not available, and you are sitting on a 64 bit machine, but it needs
> 32 bit versions of some of your libraries?

Well, I still think the sensible thing is to expect *native* libraries
in /lib, whatever native may be. If you are on 64 bit, that means 64
bit libraries go into /lib and not /lib64. The only situation I would
expect /lib64 is if I am on a 32 bit system. If I am sitting on a 64
bit machine and I need 32 bit libraries, I put the 32 bit libraries
elsewhere separated from my native libs (which is what debian does -
you get /lib32).

To reiterate, I am not saying it shouldn't be fixed.

--
Csaba/Jester