As a "long-hour" ATC I really got p..... (sorry) mad about those planes
popping up on "the active" during heavy traffic - but it is also obvious
that this happens mostly because of "just following the default" - as
soon as they know how to do it better they do better (or go somewhere
else). So I suggest we should not overreact and try to enforce "you
pilot must, you designer must, you.. must" - how do you want to enforce
that anyhow?? No way for that in a free world!
  Also I am sure it is only a problem for APs with lots of traffic
(surely KSFO, EDDF, EHAM,  etc.) which are highly modeled and even have
parking/gate places. So:

 Why not just let the startup program check first in (ICAO.parking.xml)
"is there a parking-position?" and if yes: "Take the first one". If not,
continue as is today.

My argument for it is:
1) For small APs with few traffic nobody cares, wherever however
somebody pops up - so why enforce anything?
2) For big ones with much traffic and no parking-lots yet, I am sure it
is no problem to get some positions into the xml (by someone liking that
AP!) - otherwise the "serious pilots" will stay away soon
3) Of course that may cause pileups at "ParkingPos 1" - but that is a
problem of the ones in the pileup - and I am sure they learn fast how to
find other ways than just appear by "default"
4) Of course it only helps against people who do not want to or do not
know how to define a certain location. But I am sure they learn fast
when it hurts them most.
5) And there even may be some who want to crash purposely - but that you
cannot avoid anyhow with no enforcement at all. But my experience say:
They change there habit pretty fast after getting to hear/read from all
sides some things between "please" and "stupid" and ... .

And surely it would be nice for many pilots first trying to taxi prior
to fly!
jomo