> We seem to disagree quite a bit here, Nasal is nice for supporting
> aircraft functions but scenery coloring is part of the simulator core
> and should be kept in the C++ code. In fact the same applies to the new
> cloud code if you'd ask me but for proof of concept and ease of
> development by the code it turns out to work quite well in Nasal.

I think you're not seeing the potential of Nasal here. It's way more easy
to access and modify.

Creating good cloud configurations is art, not science. I often work like
that - looking outside and thinking 'I should be able to get this if I
insert this function here and tweak the parameters a bit' and then quickly
adding some lines.

But let's think ahead a bit. Having full access from Nasal space would
allow you

* to tie clouds to models - think of a vulcano spewing ash clouds, or of
the colling towers of a power plant. The clouds would be generated by the
Nasal code of the model, and mesh in with the rest of the system just fine

* or to tie them to airplanes - model contrails with the cloud system
rather than the particle system, let them evolve in time and make them
visible over MP (no different from the problem of letting Cumulus clouds
evolve in time)

* to add weather to tutorials - right now, you can set a thunderstorm with
all bells and whistles anywhere you like by typing a single function call
into the Nasal console. The potential for training tutorials and such like
(what do you do if upon arrival there's bad weather at your destination)
is obvious.

You'd have to expose hundreds of control properties to get anything like
that flexibility if you hard-code the whole system (of course, to
hard-code performance critical subsystems is a different matter).

Cheers,

* Thorsten