> Part of the problem is that FlightGear almost always renders ideal
> situations for the skydome.
> If you look at this picture you see there are situations where white fog
> is natural:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/St.Gilgen_Panorama_2007-02-22.jpg
>But you obviously won't get that with the sun hidden behind a cloudy
> sky.

Yes, that was my analysis as well. My point is - the skydome or terrain
shader code can't know a priori. But all our weather systems have the
relevant information readily available - all we need to do is expose a
property which tells the distance fading code how much sunlight is
available at a given altitude  (below a layer, mountains should fade to
dark, above to white for instance).

* Thorsten