From: Frederic Bouvier <fredfgf...@free.fr>
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Terrain engine
To: "FlightGear developers discussions" <flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 7:17 PM

Le 05/06/2011 09:34, Michael Sgier a écrit :
> Salut Frederic
>   what happened to the terrain engine, that you show at youtube? Could
> we get that into fgfs sometimes?
> Regards Michael

>> > Little bit other topic.
>> >
>> > Hi Frederic, I have two questions for You.
>> >
>> > 1) Can Your terrain engine be added in FG?
>> > 2) Can it be fast enough for orbital flight with visibility ~500km and
>> > speed ~30000km/h, ~8km/sec?
> There might be some more questions involved:
> 3) Is it an accurate representation of the world or a procedural terrain
> engine.
> 4) Are you willing to /and/ able to release it under the terms of the
> GPL.

My terrain engine is not ready and this project stalled another time
because of lack of
time on a long period. The code has nothing to do with FG except it uses
few classes
from SimGear, and the graphic engine is OSG. The file format is totally
different and
includes a precomputed LOD scheme (ROAM 2 for who's interested). It is
pictured in
this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYH27KyUBk
I let you juge if it could work for space flight.

The data used in the most recent videos are from the Custom Scenery
project and
the elevations are from SRTM. So it is real world data with the
potential to add some
procedurally generated small details to enhance detail levels at close
distance.

There is nothing that could prevent to release it under the GPL, but in
the light of
recent events (read FPS) I am not fond of releasing something that
couldn't be used
directly, but just stolen very easily. I am ok to think about some
restricted access
to the sources to known (core) developpers that are willing to
contribute to make
it usable and then included to the core if it pass the smell test.

Main current issues are :
1. realtime engine needs to be re-done using latest OSG DB features
2. atmospheric model (Bruneton's) produce artefacts for spheroidal earth
3. artefacts in shapefile clipping (something to do with the cylindrical
nature of longitudes)

> 0) Does it meet the technical requirements for being used in
>    FlightGear ?
I'll let you elaborate on this topic before I could answer.

Regards,
-Fred

--
Frédéric Bouvier