2011/8/2 Mathias Fröhlich wrote:
<snip>
> So I decoupled these two structures somehow. I have put bv-trees of geometry
> into the userdata field of the scenegraph. So for the high level operations
> like tile loading, the scenery paging is used to load and get rid of the bv-
> trees. The whole intersectable scenery should be there in this form.
> Using this, you could already speed up ground queries by using these bv-tree
> leafs for intersection test leaf traversal.
>
> But for the actual aircraft I wanted to be able to do up to the order of
> 100-1000 intersection tests per timestep. To get that sufficiently fast, I
> built
> that ground cache:

<snip>

> This means using the ground cache is only valid near the actual aircraft,
> where near means a few 10 meters. And no, please do not increase this ground
> cache radius of the aircraft for the weather.
>
> What you can do for the weather is to traverse the bv-tree nodes instead of
> the GPU optimized scenery nodes for ground queries. I guess this is the
> fastest (implementation wise fastest) approach to get something you need.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. That makes a lot of things much
clearer!

>From a quick code read, it looks like the scenery.cxx get_elevation_m()
>function
does not use the bv-tree.

I think the reason I have seen much higher performance using the "ground_cache"
is that the flight.cxx method uses the BVH tree if it doesn't get a scenery hit.

Therefore the solution may be to change the scenery.cxx version to use the BVH
tree if possible. That should provide significant performance gains. I
will investigate...

-Stuart