2011/8/7 Mathias Fröhlich wrote:
> I have now seen that this has overlapped a question from yours form yesterday
> evening. I just got up today morning, took a look outside - still no summer in
> mid europe - and decided to hack something. Then I just thought that this
> change might be good to have...
> :)

Same problem in Scotland :)

> Did you really measure again how much faster this is? Just some average rule
> of thumb?

Running the same test as described above (Nasal geodinfo() called in 0.01 steps
across a 1x1 degree area) in the same place, I got the following
results from multiple
runs of the code.

Old scenery.cxx method: 5.78s - 6.15s
Groundcache hack: 0.38 - 0.5s
New scenery.cxx method: 0.1s - 0.12s

The tests were run at different times, so there may be some environmental
differences based on what else was running on my laptop etc.

Nevertheless, that's a massive performance improvement over the old method,
and a significant improvement over the groundcache hack I wrote.

-Stuart