Thanks for the feedback/ideas so far! Hope to get some more throughout the week.

> Vivian wrote:
> This proposal doesn’t seem to address the problem namely that 3d clouds and
> Random
> Vegetation (trees)
require Material Shaders to be checked in the gui

It does, partly. As I said, the 3D clouds require a source edit (which I'm
incapable of), so those
are still shader dependant, but the trees are uncoupled by my merge. Do note
that there is
bug #494 that makes it appear broken.

> Vivian wrote:
> the
 Shader options are not greyed out when the slider is at 0 (shaders
OFF), thus it might
> be inferred that shaders are active when they aren’t

Valid point. Will take care of that.

> Vivian wrote:
>  the effect on frame rate by shaders is trivial

Allowing people to switch individual shaders on/off isn't just a matter of
framerates. On my old
computer for example, I am unable to use the bumpmap shader. Most other shaders
work fine
though. The current dialog forces me to disable all shaders, just because that
single one doesn't
work on my machine. Doesn't work as in "breaks my aircraft in hunderts of
pieces".

> Vivian wrote:
>  It actually breaks the water shader effect

In what way? As far as I can see it works fine here...

> Vivian wrote:
> The Snow-line slider has been moved to Global weather which implies that it
> is:

> a. weather related

> b. only applicable to Global Weather.

> Neither is true – it is an arbitrary value, and it applies to all conditions.
Right. The snow line is a rather strange thing. I agree that it's better of in
the rendering dialog
for now (especially because it also works with local-weather). Will move it
back.

> Stuart wrote:
 don't think there is any particularly good reaon for the dependency,
for either the trees
> or the clouds. I'm away at the moment but will look
 at uncoupling them later in the week.

See my comment to vivian about the trees. Would be nice if you could look at
the clouds!

> Thorsten wrote:
> 3dclouds can be adjusted as needed with the distance slider - having a
> similar slider for trees
> rather than having to hack materials.xml would be rather nice.

+1 and a "density" slider as well.

I'll see if I can update the merge-request today.

Cheers,
Gijs