In the mid of the last decade I've been one of those who realized that
developing a long-term strategy for the various FlightGear Scenery
ressources would be a Really Good Idea.  Meanwhile there's been
progress to make such a strategy happen, anyhow, as usual, the
groundwork doesn't have much of a shiny surface, it doesn't have
eye-candy.

The idea I had in mind, the motivation which drove me into dedicating
so many hours was to focus as many of the available ressources as
possible on building the best _common_ Scenery we could make for
FlightGear.
Yet I have to realize that this idea has become pretty unpopular.  The
sort of collaboration which is being carried out at improving
FlightGear's source code and the sense for continuous development
obviously don't work in the Scenery department.

Apparently I've been too ambitious and idealistic.  I know that
voluntary OpenSource development is primarily ego-driven, but there's a
strong indication that I've still under-estimated the average Scenery-
developers narcism: Scenery development is nowadays diverging into more
different (and contradicting) branches than ever before - and almost no
one cares.  That's the complete opposite of what I was trying to
achieve.
Therefore I'm drawing the consequences from this process and, as a last
resort to save myself from even more frustration, I'll resign from
maintaining any FlightGear Scenery ressources.

I'll be leaving the Scenemodels/MapServer-database-, webserver- and
TerraSync- infrastructure intact and will also be maintaining the
underlying machinery as long as required, so Jon Stockill, Olivier Jacq
or someone else whom they trust may continue using it according to
their needs.

Those who relied on me to continue what I've done so far I kindly ask
to bear with me, because I reached the point where I have to apply a
measure of self protection ....  and, let's face it, why should I
continue serving such a mostly unpleasant and ungrateful role when I
can spend all the time on so many other enjoyable activities.

Have fun,
        Martin.