Pedro Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net>wrote:
>
>> In the mid of the last decade I've been one of those who realized that
>> developing a long-term strategy for the various FlightGear Scenery
>> ressources would be a Really Good Idea.  Meanwhile there's been
>> progress to make such a strategy happen, anyhow, as usual, the
>> groundwork doesn't have much of a shiny surface, it doesn't have
>> eye-candy.
>>

> Martin, am right with you.. I understand.. its a php site.. and its on a
> server and your dont want it to go wrong..

Pedro, the ground work I'm talking about is not the visible web site,
it's the infrastructure behind these web pages: Man-months of research
and tests in GIS land, building and testing tools, building and
maintaining the database, shaping all the data into its current form
and loading it into the DB, researching and testing how to build
detailed airport layouts with TerraGear, the same with OSM roads,
ensuring a certain quality level for the land cover data as well as for
the Scenemodels repository ....  and so on.

Just to mention one symptomatical example: It's really weird doing a
lot of research and tests, investigating licenses, compatibility issues
and the like - and to realize months or years later that others, who
don't care at all about these implications, are gaining laurels.

After you've gone through this sort of a story more than twice, then
you're finally going to ask yourself if there's any sense in what
you're trying to achieve.

Cheers,
        Martin.