I really hope that we can start a discussion now about the state of
the scenery and making (or following) some plans keeping the basic
ideas up for the moment, also looking to planned improvements. I am
following Martins ideas since a long time. I always tried to help here
and there but I saw that it really needs a lot of people following
this ideas. Martin spent so much time explaining me how to set up this
and that and how all this scenery process could work. I really wish we
could build some kind of temporary "Scenery Team" and discuss ideas.
My proposal is to meet at IRC on day the next weeks to start
organizing, or to open a temporary group or list. (Sorry, i do not
like the forum for such).

Personally- ... Martin, I would send you all my best wishes and I
would send you one billion "Thank You"s for all your support. Without
you I would never have seen what is behind the whole scenery process.
You spent so much time explaining me how this all works, you shared
your experience and all the results of your researches in idealistic
way and you guided me through the jungle. You always studied all
proposals carefully. I ever got an answer from you. All my respect.

Cheers, Yves

 ----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---   Von: "FlightGear developers
discussions" @lists.sourceforge.net>
Gesendet:Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:01:16 +0000 (UTC)
Betreff:Re: [Flightgear-devel] Looking at a nice project from outside

 Pedro Morgan wrote:
 > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Martin Spott wrote:
 >
 >> In the mid of the last decade I've been one of those who realized
that
 >> developing a long-term strategy for the various FlightGear Scenery
 >> ressources would be a Really Good Idea. Meanwhile there's been
 >> progress to make such a strategy happen, anyhow, as usual, the
 >> groundwork doesn't have much of a shiny surface, it doesn't have
 >> eye-candy.
 >>

 > Martin, am right with you.. I understand.. its a php site.. and its
on a
 > server and your dont want it to go wrong..

 Pedro, the ground work I'm talking about is not the visible web site,
 it's the infrastructure behind these web pages: Man-months of
research
 and tests in GIS land, building and testing tools, building and
 maintaining the database, shaping all the data into its current form
 and loading it into the DB, researching and testing how to build
 detailed airport layouts with TerraGear, the same with OSM roads,
 ensuring a certain quality level for the land cover data as well as
for
 the Scenemodels repository .... and so on.

 Just to mention one symptomatical example: It's really weird doing a
 lot of research and tests, investigating licenses, compatibility
issues
 and the like - and to realize months or years later that others, who
 don't care at all about these implications, are gaining laurels.

 After you've gone through this sort of a story more than twice, then
 you're finally going to ask yourself if there's any sense in what
 you're trying to achieve.

 Cheers,
 Martin.
 --
 Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just selective about who its friends
are !