On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net>wrote:

> In the mid of the last decade I've been one of those who realized that
> developing a long-term strategy for the various FlightGear Scenery
> ressources would be a Really Good Idea.  Meanwhile there's been
> progress to make such a strategy happen, anyhow, as usual, the
> groundwork doesn't have much of a shiny surface, it doesn't have
> eye-candy.

Martin, am right with you.. I understand.. its a php site.. and its on a
server and your dont want it to go wrong..

ITS a HUGE responsibility.. so I would be probably more nerminous that
thou..

> The idea I had in mind, the motivation which drove me into dedicating
> so many hours was to focus as many of the available ressources as
> possible on building the best _common_ Scenery we could make for
> FlightGear.

Yes this is what we all endear to.. ;-))) same planet right...

> Yet I have to realize that this idea has become pretty unpopular.  The
> sort of collaboration which is being carried out at improving
> FlightGear's source code and the sense for continuous development
> obviously don't work in the Scenery department.

Indeed martin.. I think U HIT the nail on the head there..
Airlines have departments, u cant work in "safety" and also in Min
Equipment... and you are not alone.. in date being unpopular..  if its
wrong.. godammit... !!

However, there are two parts.. 1) FG c++ stuff, and 2) scenery..

> Apparently I've been too ambitious and idealistic.  I know that
> voluntary OpenSource development is primarily ego-driven, but there's a
> strong indication that I've still under-estimated the average Scenery-
> developers narcism: Scenery development is nowadays diverging into more
> different (and contradicting) branches than ever before - and almost no
> one cares.  That's the complete opposite of what I was trying to
> achieve.

I agree with all the above, apart from one point...
There's a lot of frustration and the boundaries and responsibilities.. and
indeed negatives, vs positives ..
One thing to bear in mind,, if you dont hear from anyone their happy ==
Invisible positives..
You  only get the winging negatives... !! whilst there's millions of
happinesses..

> Therefore I'm drawing the consequences from this process and, as a last
> resort to save myself from even more frustration, I'll resign from
> maintaining any FlightGear Scenery ressources.

Please elect some new maintainers.. pick a few..
and then  off to the  drawing room.. is encouraged.. Think about its more..
Its a huge task

> I'll be leaving the Scenemodels/MapServer-database-, webserver- and
> TerraSync- infrastructure intact and will also be maintaining the
> underlying machinery as long as required, so Jon Stockill, Olivier Jacq
> or someone else whom they trust may continue using it according to
> their needs.

can we split these up into parts.. and projects..
scenemodels/ == and app server and interaction via ajax and other protocols
 mapserver/ == ?

> Those who relied on me to continue what I've done so far I kindly ask
> to bear with me, because I reached the point where I have to apply a
> measure of self protection ....  and, let's face it, why should I
> continue serving such a mostly unpleasant and ungrateful role when I
> can spend all the time on so many other enjoyable activities.

Go and do the other things,, and come back with a

Strategic Plan - Martin

and that is where the ball is in your court..

What we need to do is for u to be stategic .. and plans.. and problems..

and for us guys down here to have to do things.....

such as converting php4 sites into php5/smarty sites etc.. for legacy..

whereas if a new project, then python and nginx assumed on server...

so things are moving fast fast.. server side..

we just need to share the load a bit more..