Ron Jensen wrote:
> On Monday 27 February 2012 13:15:39 Martin Spott wrote:
>> Martin Spott wrote:
>> > I don't have an idea, why - maybe that's been the default in PPE, AC3D
>> > or whichever tool.  Jon made me aware of this issue many years ago
>> > (when we started filling the scenery objects database) and, as far as I
>> > remeber, I found evidence that Jon is right.
>>
>> BTW, from my perspective AC3D orientation in FlightGear is another
>> issue worth fixing, but I'm uncertain wether it's clever to do both at
>> the same time.  There might be reasons to leave the AC3D oriantation
>> the way it is, reasons which I'm completely unaware of.

> Please don't randomly change things. The model orientation, +X aft, +Z left
> and +Y up is a very common aerodynamic orientation.

You probably haven't read my and/or the other postings in this thread
before replying, therefore I'll repeat the context for you:
The discussion is about model orientation in .stg-files, which, as most
of us are aware of, are part of the FlightGear scenery, thus they
relate to constructions on the ground. In the same context - of
.stg-files - I was referring to the orientation of AC3D models.

I agree that the schema you describe above is actually being used in
aircraft manufacturing, but it's just one of several, contradictory
schemes.  Even the term "aerodynamic orientation" is generalizing
because the choice depends on the use case (academic vs. industry,
engineering, design, drawing vs. simulation, ....) and, last but not
least, on the manufacturer.

But all this is irrelevant here, because we're talking about Scenery
models on the ground.  The one and only 'random' item in the entire
discussion seems to be your misguided comment.

Cheers,
        Martin.