Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> I'm not sure that is correct, but my memory is dim.  My recollection was that
> even after we converted the main cvs branch to OSG, we kept a plib branch
> that was used for a subsequent release.

There's a key difference: The OSG port, at least when it was added to
CVS, was pretty functional almost from day one, even on feeble graphics
cards.  That's substantially different with Rembrandt, where some of
the essentials still don't work properly on moderately powerful cards
(even after obeying the recommendations Fred has been posting to this
list).
The OSG port just developed that slow because there was strong lobbying
against it.  Rembrandt, in contrast, has been widely adopted by
developers but apparently there's still a lot do be done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Rembrandt in general, instead, I
think it's a cool idea - but, according to my opinion, "cool" is not
sufficient for applying as an 'official' release feature.

Cheers,
        Martin.