On Thursday, 28 October 2004 19:59, Lee Elliott wrote:
> What's the current consensus on texture sizes?  I'm currently
> limiting my textures to 1024x1024 but I'd like to use larger
> textures if it would be acceptable.

I'm in favour of larger textures.
Even my old 128MB Ti4200 sits with an almost empty bank of video RAM when
running FlightGear.
Even the original Geforce can handle 2048x2048 with the correct drivers!

However I think we should still support the older hardware with fallback
textures and have some way of setting the texture detail level of the
aircraft like is done in MSFS so that the user can pick their performance
level.

One could do the switch to fallback textures by detecting the max texture size
of the video card.

Here is some code from one of my projects that does the check :
//-----------------------------------------------------------
  GLint GLInfo = 0;

  // Check that video card can handle our texture size and format
  glTexImage2D(GL_PROXY_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA8, 1024, 1024, 0, GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);
  glGetTexLevelParameteriv(GL_PROXY_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_TEXTURE_INTERNAL_FORMAT,
&GLInfo);

  if (GLInfo == GL_RGBA8)
    cout << "1024x1024 RGBA8 texture support : Yes" << endl;
  else
  {
    cout << "Your card does not support the required texture format of
1024x1024 RGBA8" << endl;
    exit(-1);
  }

Regards