Julian,

Thanks, now I have a much better picture of the overall situation, although
I still have a lot of reading to do. I already had read a couple of Frank
progress reports, and some stuff about worlds, in the publications link you
mention. So I thought, this sounds great, how can I try this? Then I went
to the wiki, and there was a section called "Fundamental new computing
technologies", so I said "this is the thing!".  But no, the real thing was,
as you said, hidden in plain sight, under the unconspicuous titles such as
"Other prototypes and projects related to our work" and "experiment". I
wonder, is that some kind of prank for the uninitiated? hehe. By the way,
I've played a little with Squeak, Croquet and other great projects by Alan
and the other wonderful Smalltalk people, so I did have a sense of their
focus on children. I must confess I was a bit annoyed with what seemed to
me like Jedi elitism (as in "He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the
training. ") but hey, their project, their code, their rules.

So, to get back on topic,

I've downloaded Maru, The contents are:

boot-eval.c  boot.l  emit.l  eval.l  Makefile

So, the ".l" files are

So this is the file extension for Maru's implementation language (does it
have a name?).

Sure enough, the very first line of "eval.l" reads:

;;; -*- coke -*-

This made me smile. Well, actually it was a mad laughter.

It compiles beautifully. Yay!

Now there are some ".s" files. They look like assembler code. I thought it
was Nothing code, but the Maru webpage explains it's just ia-32. Oh, well.
I don't know yet where Nothing enters the picture.

So, this is compiled to ".o" files and linked to build the "eval"
executable, which can take ".l" files and make a new "eval"
 executable, and so on. So far so good.

But what else can I do with it? Should I use it to run the examples at "
http://tinlizzie.org/dbjr/"; ? All I see is files with a ".lbox" file
extension. What are those? Apparently, there are no READMEs. Could you
please give me an example of how to try one of those experiments?

Thanks for your tips and patience ;)