Originally,  the VPRI claims to be able to do a system that's 10,000
smaller than our current bloatware.  That's going from roughly 200
million lines to 20,000. (Or, as Alan Kay puts it, from a whole library
to a single book.) That's 4 orders of magnitude.

From the report, I made a rough break down of the causes for code
reduction.  It seems that

 - 1 order of magnitude is gained by removing feature creep.  I agree
   feature creep can be important.  But I also believe most feature
   belong to a long tail, where each is needed by a minority of users.
   It does matter, but if the rest of the system is small enough,
   adding the few features you need isn't so difficult any more.

 - 1 order of magnitude is gained by mere good engineering principles.
   In Frank for instance, there is _one_ drawing system, that is used
   for everywhere.  Systematic code reuse can go a long way.
     Another example is the  code I work with.  I routinely find
   portions whose volume I can divide by 2 merely by rewriting a couple
   of functions.  I fully expect to be able to do much better if I
   could refactor the whole program.  Not because I'm a rock star (I'm
   definitely not).  Very far from that.  Just because the code I
   maintain is sufficiently abysmal.

 - 2 orders of magnitude are gained through the use of Problem Oriented
   Languages (instead of C or C++). As examples, I can readily recall:
    + Gezira vs Cairo    (÷95)
    + Ometa  vs Lex+Yacc (÷75)
    + TCP-IP             (÷93)
   So I think this is not exaggerated.

Looked at it this way, it doesn't seems so impossible any more.  I
don't expect you to suddenly agree the "4 orders of magnitude" claim
(It still defies my intuition), but you probably disagree specifically
with one of my three points above.  Possible objections I can think of
are:

 - Features matter more than I think they do.
 - One may not expect the user to write his own features, even though
   it would be relatively simple.
 - Current systems may be not as badly written as I think they are.
 - Code reuse could be harder than I think.
 - The two orders of magnitude that seem to come from problem oriented
   languages may not come from _only_ those.  It could come from the
   removal of features, as well as better engineering principles,
   meaning I'm counting some causes twice.

Loup.