On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Gath-Gealaich <gath.na.geala...@gmail.com>wrote:

> "The first math language Fortran was soon displaced in business by more
> readable code afforded by Cobol's longer variable names."
>
> Fortran was displaced in business because early Fortran had no structures
> and random record-oriented file access, and because of some silly
> government requirements for computer system procurement.

Not according to management at Champion International.

> "There are three basic statements in any computer language: assignment, If
> then else, and loop."
>
> ...except for those languages that have none of these three? I'd rather
> argue that all languages have
>
> 1) primitives,
> 2) means of composition,
> 3) means of abstraction.
>
> Some languages lack the third (Excel?) but these are not especially useful
> on large scale.

I am guessing the three fundamentals educators agree to are implemented in
obscure ways in the languages you are thinking of.  For example in
primitives or composition.

"Now to complete the project without corporate resources, it is necessary
> to select an NLP application which is both more powerful and physically
> smaller than IBM's Watson which won against Jeopardy's best players.  The
> most powerful NLP text in history is the Bible which is only 4 Mb instead
> of Watson's 4 Tb."
>
> I have absolutely no idea what "powerful" is supposed to mean in this
> context, but I'd bet the Reuters corpora against the Bible any day of the
> week. Bible sounds like a horrible source material for any automated NLP
> endeavor, no matter whether research oriented or production-oriented, since
> it's on all levels (lexical, semantic, factual) schizophrenically
> disconnected from modern textual material.

The Bible is the fundamental document of America's Founders, which made the
most important and powerful nation in the world rise from 13 colonies.
 Thus you lost your bet.

--
Kirk W. Fraser
http://freetom.info/TrueChurch - Replace the fraud churches with the true