Since this seems to be a hot topic at the moment I thought I might jump
in. To use FOP in the various contexts we need to properly setup the right
interfaces. First we need to determine why and what those interfaces are.

All of the interfaces are set through the Driver. The Driver is the
central control point for all fo -> pdf etc. transformations.

Below is a sample of the type of areas and information that needst o pass
to and from FOP:

User agent
The list of things this needs to supply is on this page, rather badly
formatted:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/design/useragent.html

Logging
- logging level
- logging messages of various levels
- error handling

XML input
- various ways to supply FOP with the xsl:fo file
- sax handler

general options
- base directory
- uri resolvers

renderer options
- embedding fonts
- compression in pdf
- image embedding

The Driver handles the XML input.
The user agent information is through the FOUserAgent.
We could handle logging through the user agent.
Options could also be handled through the user agent, using mime type
selection for renderer options.

So, what do people think. What other information will be needed.