Arved,

I'm definitely in favor of deciding how we think things are supposed to
be laid out. Of course it would be nice if we were on the same
wavelength with the majority of FO users and implementors... but I'm not
too worried about that.

Besides the stuff we're talking about currently, we need to agree on
line-stacking issues (Keiron's already worked on vertical alignment, so
he's probably up on that) and space specifier handling (but there I
think the spec is fairly clear once one has read it 50 times or so :-).

Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> Good...if we all agree with that then I think it is the main point gotten
> out of the way, because every other situation has to do with child FOs all
> being inline or block-level, for which the results are less dubious.
> The main thing is, let's make sure that we have agreement (codified through
> use of these diagrammed examples) on all matters that affect placement. I
> understand that we want to have a warm fuzzy about our understanding of the
> spec, but that's not going to happen with everything.
>
> To be precise, if I can get a number of these examples created, what we can
> do is identify situations where we can say, this one is 100% solid (we know
> this is right, there is no uncertainty in the spec), this one is iffy (there
> may be small inconsistencies between our placement and what the spec authors
> intended), or this one is problematic (contradictions, for example).
>
> Once we have classified the examples, we can do damage control on the
> uncertain ones. Namely, let's do it this way, but let's be aware that things
> could be interpreted another way, and if so, how heavily committed are we in
> our code?
>
> On a related matter when it comes right down to brass tacks I am really only
> concerned about placement (accuracy of rendering). Both with Fop and with my
> other project I find it easier to use the conceptual areas, and I get the
> sense that others also feel this way, but let's face it, as long as our
> final result is consistent it doesn't really matter if our internal
> structures deviate.

In general yes. So long as the extra levels of area "wrappers" we might
or might not add in any given situation don't bring along border,
padding, space-* etc.

-Karen