Chuck Paussa wrote:
> "background-position" applies to block-level and replaced elements
> (What are replaced elements?)

This seems to be an odd artefact of not having checked everything.
The "background-position" property is a shorthand for combinations
of the "background-position-(horizontal|vertical)" stuff, which in
turn apply, as noted there to everything to which "background"
applies, which is, ugh, "every element" (7.29.1). This all sucks,
you should report a spec bug to the editors (well, read the amendments,
it could already be there...)
I believe "replaced" meant floating elements and footnotes originally,
but the point is moot anyway.

> "max-width"    "min-height"    "min-width"  apply to all elements except
> non-replaced inline elements and table elements
> (What are non-replaced inline elements?)

These properties are mapped to i-p-d or b-p-d, the constraints should be
looked up there. It seems they cannot be determined statically, because
both mapping and applicability seems to depend on the context, therefore
the properties should probably allowed everywhere.

> "position" applies to all elements, but not to generated content
> (What is generated content?)

Hmm, again, it's a shorthand for setting absolute-position and
relative-position. The interesting point is that according to these
properties, the settings "static" and "relative" make only sense for all
block-level and inline-level FO, while the other two settings,
"absolute" and "fixed" would only apply to block-container. It seems to
follow that "position" applies to all block-level and inline-level FO
elements. Again, looks like a spec bug.

Confused? Me too!

J.Pietschmann