Comments intermingled.

It's not that there is a "CRLF", or anything like it, after a block, but
rather that if it is succeeded by block-level siblings that they will be
stacked in the block-progression-direction, so the effect will be the same.

Can you be more specific with respect to the other questions?

> What does the input below look look like on the page?
>
> <fo:block>
>       level_0_text fills to position A
>       <fo:block>
>               level_1_text positioned at A fills to position B
>       </fo:block>
>       more level_0_text positioned at B
> </fo:block>

I think the predominant opinion is (assume all of this fits on one page) -

a normal block area (generated by the outer block) that contains:

one or more line areas for "level_0_text fills to position A";
then a block area with one or more line areas for "level_1_text positioned
at A fills to position B";
finally more line areas for "more level_0_text positioned at B".

Note that if your example had been

<fo:block>
        level_0_text fills to position A<fo:block>
                level_1_text positioned at A fills to position B
        </fo:block>more level_0_text positioned at B
</fo:block>

then it would still be the same.

Regards,
AHS