Peter,

I think they don't define it because it is a common well known (to them)
idea that is used across many specs.
Here is a quick definition I found:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/PR-UAAG10-20000310/#def-user-agent

So if the user agent is FOP (+ how the document is eventually viewed)
then the values and decisions are determined by FOP.
My point is that these are typically things that *may* take one value or
another so we should allow users of FOP to alter what values are used.

Keiron.