On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:17:25AM -0700, Victor Mote wrote:
> OK, I see now that I misunderstood your "Sorry, yes" answer to Keiron. If
> http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/site/xml-fop should be reflecting changes no
> more than an hour old made to xml-fop/src/documentation, then it is not
> working.

Hmm yes, something went wrong.  It seems to be working now, but I'll keep
an eye on it.  The 'last published' in the footer is the best indicator
of currency.

> > I think Sam Ruby has a script which automatically updates the live site
> > to the contents of xml-site/targets/*.
>
> Should I contact him directly? Also, I still don't know whether
> xml-site/targets/fop is my final destination. What is best practices for
> this process? If this is documented somewhere, please excuse me -- I haven't
> found it yet. Also, I realize that this conversation might be better on
> forrest-dev. I asked on this list because I think Keiron has already figured
> most of this out & I am trying to leverage off of that. Thanks very much for
> your help.

Forrest is in the same boat as FOP when it comes to site updates.  AFAIK,
there are no docs, but the process is:

 - Committers commit generated docs to xml-site/targets/{project}
 - Every X hours, a script updates /www/xml.apache.org/ or wherever on
   the live site, from CVS.

Pretty messy, but this CVS-based site update system has some virtues:

 - it is pull-based, so fewer security risks
 - site contents can be reverted easily without an admin having to figure
   out how the doc generation tool works.
 - it's there and it works

Discussions for creating a better site update system should probably be
held on general@xml, since it affects all projects, or forrest-dev, since
people there are particularly interested, and Steven has talked with Sam
about it before.

--Jeff