Arved Sandstrom wrote:

That means, to me, first, that we use the naming to identify qualifying
areas.

Two, we use "retrieve-boundary" to filter out qualifying areas. I make that
distinction, because qualifying areas are defined by the naming alone.

Three, we use "retrieve-position" coupled with area traits (and the traits
are easy to establish) to figure out the best qualifier on the _current_
page.

The thing that bugs me is, when there is no qualifying area in the
"containing page" (Note to spec editors: try saying currently-formatted
page), after filtering, then it becomes anarchy. It seems like user
preferences based on "retrieve-position" lose all relevance. In other words,
there is an elaborate set of definitions based on the current page, with a
hierarchy defined by "retrieve-position", but as soon as one establishes
that there is no such qualifying area on the current page, than it's just
the first qualifying area one can find, moving back in the document.

I suppose that one way of looking at this is that retrieve-position is inherently this-page based, and that to try to extend the retrieve-position logic in a consistent way to, say, previous page, would add a layer of some complication. The easy solution is to declare that, if you blew it with the retrieve-position properties, all bets are off, and we go into emergency mode.

--
Peter B. West  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"