On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:04:58PM -0700, Victor Mote wrote:
> Peter B. West wrote:
>
> > That should be, "...still has to be committed."  The 6-hourly script
> > will presumably update from the website CVS.
> >
> > Peter B. West wrote:
> > > Victor,
> > >
> > > I'll make and commit the changes that Jeff recommended.  We can
> > > then use the bot output or out own forrest run to generate the
> > > site.  It still has to be committed and the leve site updated by
> > > hand, as I understand things.
>
> My understanding is as follows:
> 1. The "refresh" button on the http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org site will
> take the contents at cvs.apache.org/cvs/xml-fop as input, and generate the
> web site. That is what is displayed at
> http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/site/xml-fop.
> 2. The "publish" button at http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org seems to actually
> update the cvs.apache.org/cvs/xml-site/targets/fop directory, checking the
> output from "refresh" into that repository. This is somewhat contrary to the
> text that appears on http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org.
> 3. The 6-hour hourly script, as you say, will update the "live" web site.

Correct.  I'll update the text.

> This seems to be what is happening. The only thing that I don't understand
> is that the timestamp on each page seems to correspond to the 6-hour update,
> not to the actual time that the web site is generated.

The timestamp is that of the file on the server, generated with
Javascript:

document.write(" - "+"Last Published: " + document.lastModified)

> This all works pretty well, except that, because the pdfs are binaries in
> the repository, there is a linear increase in size for them instead of an
> incremental increase. Someone will probably need to go through & obsolete
> old versions of them to keep the repository from getting ever bigger.

CVS isn't too bad yet (382M), considering the size of a checked-out
xml-site (158M).  I suppose if icarus runs out of space we can re-import
it all to get rid of the history.

--Jeff