Jeremias Maerki wrote:
Following a problem on fop-user I'd like to propose the removal of
ant.jar and the build.bar/sh pair. I've heard that best practice is not
to bundle Ant with a project, though I can't point you to a web page.

It's reasonable to expect that everybody who wants to compile a Java
program to install Ant because it's so widely used.

I know it's convenient that you can download FOP and simply call
build.bat but removing our own ant.jar makes the distribution smaller,
removes potential error sources (such as the one uncovered on fop-user
and provided we have a version check in our build.xml).

If nobody objects I will try to find time during the weekend to do that.

Jeremias,

Removing ant, fair enough, but why the build scripts? Shouldn't they be extended a little to check for the presence of an ant installation and make appropriate noises if one isn't found?

Peter