--- "J.Pietschmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - avalon and logging for the base library.

The avalon jar is indeed quite small (only 25K or so),
but this dependency I'd like us to eventually get rid
of in favor of what Xalan does with its messaging and
i18n instead.  (I suspect AH or RX don't bother with
loggers, they're probably more like Xalan as well.)

Xalan appears to route all messages through an
XMLMessages.java [1] (with a couple of subclasses for
XPath and XSLT-specific messages) with the result
going to stdout by default.  (I don't know what
happens in embedded usage, whether those messages can
be re-routed to a logger of the user's choosing.)
Also, they use message constant enums so they can get
the messages to appear in multiple languages. [2]

Glen

[1]
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-xalan/java/src/org/apache/xml/res/XMLMessages.java?rev=1.4&view=auto

[2]