> Peter B. West wrote:
> > If we go to 1.4, should we also use 1.4 logging (java.util.logging) and
> > possibly also the preferences API (java.util.prefs) for
> > configuration/user agent/user prefs?
> >
> > I don't know Avalon, so I don't know what other facilities from there we
> > are using or considering using.

If we need a logger internally--or find it beneficial to continue with
one--our two options are probably just Avalon and commons-logging, as those
are the two that provide the user logging options:  either Log4J, Java 1.4
Logging, Avalon, stdout, or Null logger.  I believe Log4J and 1.4 logging
tie the user to only one logging implementation, namely, themselves.

Avalon has a benefit that we know it already and it apparently offers other
features besides logging (but I also haven't researched what those other
features are).  Commons-logging, OTOH, may allow for somewhat closer
integration of FOP with Struts (which uses that logger).[1]

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=102090805604782&w=2