On Nov 8, 2004, at 5:51 AM, Thomas DeWeese wrote:
Hi Guys,

   Well, I must admit to not being really excited by the new logo.
Not to hurt people's feelings, note that it is good, but I think it
could be better.  None of these are really strong held but are my
opinions.

I was hoping for feedback (my first post RE: the 'new' logo was in August--albeit on fop-dev), so I welcome any feedback I can get. Glen's comment RE: using ws.a.o as another example notwithstanding (thanks Glen!), I haven't had any other comments yet (hint! hint! ;-)).

        As it currently is I actually prefer the 'non svg shapes'
version as the used shapes are rather simplistic (it makes it looks
like an 80's graphics package).

I agree wholeheartedly. My intent was to get the idea of pushing the graphics out there, but perhaps using gradient-filled shapes or something might be better (or better yet, perhaps I should just shrink the tiger...). This logo is actually my first *real* attempt at playing with SVG (I'd done some shapes before--which is why I added the shapes).

        The text is a bit hard to read over the Apache feather.  I
know that you added the white surround and it helps but the letters
still 'disappear' into the noise of the feather more than I would
like.

I agree. I actually spent a bit of time on that, and was never particularly happy when I was done.

   Now for a few suggestions:

        I have seen some of the Apache projects that left justify
the text and move the feather up next to the 'The Apache'. This
would work well for us since 'XML Graphics Project' is quite a
bit longer.

Sounds good. If I can find the time this week, I'll play around with it.

        The URL in the corner is the old xml.apache.org URL, it
should of course be xmlgraphics.apache.org (Ideally I'd like
to turn this 90deg and have it run vertically, but it's too long
to be readable when this is done).

        If we want to have 'svg' in the logo I would look at the
samples directory of Batik[1] and pull out some of those.  The one's
that come to mind would be either of the map images (mapSpain,
mapWaadt - which could be used pretty much 'as is') or perhaps
grab elements from sunRise (although that is a little 'eclipse' like).

Thanks! There's some really cool stuff in there!
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/ batik3D.png?rev=1.6&view=markup>
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/ batik70.png?rev=1.6&view=markup>
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/ batikLogo.png?rev=1.10&view=markup>

Favorite ideas/themes:
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/ batikBatik.png?rev=1.5&view=markup>
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/ batikYin.png?rev=1.5&view=markup>
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/ textRotate.png?rev=1.10&view=markup>

I also like the Sun and the 'waxing crescent Moon' from here:
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/ moonPhases.png?rev=1.11&view=markup>

I think I like batikBatik.png best! I'd like to see what I could do to get an Apache XML Graphics Project logo done in that kind of 'theme'...

        My actual preference would be to include 'icons' from the sub
projects in the new logo.  For Batik this is simple since we already
use the 'squiggle' heavily for this purpose (this is the
red/green/blue mark in a bunch of places).

That's doable. I don't know if the squiggles are well commented in those .svg files, but if they are they should be easy to add. If not, could you or someone familiar with these attach the <svg/> for it to a JIRA/bugzilla issue?

I don't know if FOP has a
similar readily available icon you could use.

This is about all we have: http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/xml-fop/images/logo.jpg

although I have a close approximation for an svg logo. I'll see what I can come up with.

I would picture these
icons 'looped' together in a clear area on the right side (think
of an infinity sign with the batik logo on one side and Fop on the
other).  As more projects join we can add icons for them to the
looping.  Alternately we could come up with a new icon just for
XML Graphics (a complex 'document' with the corner turned and
on the back is XML - might be hard to pull off in a ~51px square)

I like the idea of the separate icon for XML Graphics, because I envision other projects joining in.

[1] http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/

I've placed a temporary xmlgraphics.apache.org site live on my homepage. Please take a look and provide feedback and comments:

http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/xml-fop/xml-graphics/

I would guess that given your background in Batik, you might have more 'dexterity' in creating SVG than I. If you (or anyone else reading) has the time (I know, who has that?) I'd love to see what other folks can come up with.

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>