On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:05:40AM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'd like to propose moving all of the remaining hyphenation patterns to
> http://offo.sourceforge.net. Various reasons:
> - One-stop shop for all FOP hyphenation patterns
> - Most patterns are completely unproblematic from a license perspective
> but not from a Apache license policy perspective.
> - There are still items on the todo list for making some of the
> remaining patterns fully compliant with Apache license policy and I'm
> tired of running behind them. See [1]
> - We only have a somewhat special set of patterns remaining here (at
> least from my POV)

+1

> Of course, that means we don't provide hyphenation out-of-the-box
> anymore but if offo can provide a recompiled JAR that would make things
> a lot easier of our users. The only problem with this, however, is that
> they are likely not going to check the licenses for each and every
> pattern for compatibility with the system they are using them with.

The licenses are on the OFFO home page and in the package. That is all
we can and need to do.

I am not sure how the compilation is supposed to be done. It is a data
dump of a HyphenationTree object. If one makes a small change to that
class, the compiled objects are invalidated. Of course, that is not
relevant for a released distribution. So one should make a compilation
per released distribution?

I have quickly checked PatternParser. I seems easy to adapt the code
to load the OOo patterns as well. It is only a matter of input format;
the hard work is not affected.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping