You're welcome to help, especially since we don't know much about Maven.
It's not only FOP that has to be deployed to the Maven repository but
also XML Graphics Commons which FOP depends on. For that, I've already
started some work on its build.xml [1] so that we can generate an upload
bundle as described in [2]. I've also started a POM [3] for it. If that
looks good to you, the same pattern could be applied to FOP, too.

I didn't finish all that since I didn't have much time and don't work
with Maven so my motivation was a little small. So please see what you
can use and send us a patch for the rest.

At one point I got confused: There was [2] which looks pretty
straight-forward, but then I found [4] which I really can't make head or
tail of especially in relation to [2]. If you can clear that up, that
would probably help us. I mean if you can help us do this right, maybe
we can do the whole thing ourselves next time.

Thanks, Jason!

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/build.xml
[2] http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html
[3]