It's a small error: the PDFDestination class uses the reference to the
page object as its goToReference. What it should use is a reference to
a /Goto that jumps to the page in question.

That was right. I have corrected it by making the following change to org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer: When the renderer processes a PDFDestination, it adds a PDFGoTo and makes the PDFDestination refer to the GoTo object.

I've tested it on my web site. If you want to see it work, go to http://www.bryantcs.com/fop/test, open link-test.pdf, and click "Link test" (the only text on the page). It opens test.pdf to the second page because the destination named block2 is on the second page.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services