Perhaps I am posting this question on the wrong list or perhaps my question has been asked and answered before.

But to state my question again, why is it not sufficient to supply FOP with a font metrics file and the font triplets in the configuration file? Why does it seem that FOP needs to be able to open and load the font file itself? Is that the intended behavior or is it a problem that could potentially be addressed? Is there something I could be doing that would make FOP work with fonts other than the Base14 and without embedding the font? OK, that's more than one question.

Thanks,
Loran Kary