Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

<snip/>

As far as I can judge, /if/ the names of embedded fonts forcibly need to be altered because they would be overridden by local fonts in the PDF viewer, then it could turn out to be pretty simple --for someone who knows what he's doing :/ Leave the font-family name alone, and modify related classes in org.apache.fop.pdf to skip the step of actually embedding the font, if the configuration did not specify an embed-uri.

I envisage a minor problem with omitting the embed-url. Currently FOP uses that to generate metrics on the fly. So it seems Font Referencing and auto metrics generation are mutually exclusive :-/

What we need is to be able to change the attributes on font element, so that there is an explicit attribute that specifies whether embedding is on/off instead of overloading embed-url to do 2 functions. Something like this:

Although changing configuration files in a backwards incompatible way is not likely to be popular with the users!

Chris