Just some details on what is currently possible and what not (for PDF
output):

Type 1: embedded or referenced, WinAnsi only
TrueType:
  - embedded subset, CID (default mode)
  - embedded WinAnsi (full font is embedded 1:1, no subset)
  - referenced WinAnsi (works, but is restricted to WinAnsi)
  - referenced subset, CID (no errors by FOP, but Acrobat throws errors)

One thing that might be worth investigating is referencing a font and
using Unicode characters directly (i.e. not the subset mode). I think
that should be possible.

I think the embed="false" setting could be interesting, especially for
PostScript output where you usually have the fonts installed on the
target printer so you can make smaller print files. For PDF, this is
only interesting for closed environments where you have full control
over the installed fonts on every system.

I don't think we need to change embed-url just now. If there's a better
name for specifying the main font file (not all fonts have just one font
file), then we can always support both for a longer period, right?