As long as JARs are published that are part of an official release,
there's certainly no problem. One thing that happened, though, was that
publishing FOP over iBiblio got rejected because the maintainers thought
it should happen over ASF infrastructure. But I couldn't figure out how
to publish a Maven artifact over ASF infrastructure from a non-Maven
build so essentially I left it for anyone who actually uses Maven. I
wasted too much time on the topic.