Could work. A short test suggest that this should be safe. Even though a
Xerces JAR is in Batik 1.7 I find no longer a direct dependency on it.
The serializer is not used as we use the JDK's TraX implementation. So
that's at least 2 out of 4 JARs we can remove. That's something. With
only one I'd have said, it's not worth the trouble.

On 31.01.2008 16:25:12 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Thanks Jeremias.
>
> There are two different aspects I think:
> - we used to provide JAXP for the convenience of Java 1.3 users. Now
>   that we have moved to Java 1.4 there is no reason anymore to provide
>   it. As Andreas said, buggy implementations bundled with early versions
>   of Java 1.4 or 1.5 is not really our problem. I may be wrong, but
>   I assume that “standalone” users (those running FOP on their own
>   machine for private-like project) will always have a reasonably recent
>   version of Java, and will be happy to be told to upgrade anyway if
>   they have any problem. While power users setting up FOP in
>   a server-like environment are already aware of those early JAXP issues
>   and know how to handle them.
>   Which means we forget any endorsed mechanism.
> - for the rest I consider the following: FOP appears to have
>   dependencies which are simply not in the Java 1.4 Standard Library.
>   Just like any other dependency they will be put in the lib/ directory
>   and added to the classpath. They won’t affect the JAXP implementation
>   bundled with the JVM.
>   It just appears that the classes in the org.w3c.dom.xpath package are
>   available in later versions of JAXP, but we forget that and this will
>   be transparent to the user: those using Java 1.4 and 1.5 will find
>   those classes in the xml-apis.jar, those using later versions will get
>   them through their JAXP implementations.
>   Once we switch to Java 1.7 (or whichever includes them in the standard
>   library) as a minimal requirement, we remove the xalan.jar and
>   xml-apis.jar, and we switch the org.apache.xpath namespace to
>   javax.xml.xpath.
>
> Which means for today that we remove the no longer necessary
> serializer.jar and xercesImpl.jar and we keep the other ones.
> Solution 1, amended.
>
> I hope I’m clear.
> WDYT?
>
> Vincent