On Jan 31, 2008, at 16:25, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

<snip />
Which means for today that we remove the no longer necessary
serializer.jar and xercesImpl.jar and we keep the other ones.
Solution 1, amended.

I hope I’m clear.
WDYT?

This also sounds good enough for me. As long as we can't safely remove the dependency on Xalan without causing more troubles, I'm fine with keeping it for the time being.

The goal in the end should be to avoid hard dependencies on components for which there is a standard API (just like we don't have dependencies on any of the com.sun.* classes behind some of the classes in the public/standard Java API). Following Vincent's suggestion is already one step in the right direction.

Then again, since Xalan is actually needed because of the dependency on Batik, I'm wondering whether those libraries can be moved into Commons. Not as a mandatory dependency there, but an optional one, a resource in a special commons.jar which FOP and in time maybe also Batik can share...

Cheers