You should look for error messages from the viewers or obviously wrong
results. I've just uploaded a PNG which show the three variants and the
differences in between. This is the expected output (with explanations).
Caution: the PNG is >1MB! Anyway, the output from the viewers you tested
is obviously fine.

http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/type1-demo/changes-explained.png

Another thing that could be tested is if copy/paste of the text into a
Unicode-capable (!) application is possible. Adobe Acrobat seems to have
a problem in certain cases but that's more a bug there than in FOP
because other tools can extract the text just fine.