It turns out that implementing solution 1 isn't so easy in PDF. Actually,
my naming was even wrong. It's not a CIDFont I wanted to use. I just
wanted to use character codes larger than 255 as input to a CMap which
spits out character names for Type 1 fonts (see illustration in PS Third
Edition, page 367). That's easy in PostScript but not supported in PDF
1.4. Grmbl.

If I could somehow convert a Type 1 font into a CIDFont I could do it.
The clue to using a CIDFont is to use CID (character IDs) instead of
character names. But I think this conversion is probably more
complicated than implementing solution 2. So I'm off towards solution 2.