Should be fixed now together with a few other details I found while
diving in even deeper. In the end I decided to rip out the old glyph
list which seems to have been modified manually to hack in support for
special characters like NBSP. This should be cleaner now.

There's a little detail concerning the URW Dingbats font you used here:
The font contains different glyphs than are described in the PDF 1.4
spec even though the same character names are used. So if anyone wonders,
this is not a bug in the new code.