On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Jeremias Maerki <d...@jeremias-maerki.ch>wrote:

> Due to its inflexibility, projects are
> almost forced to adopt it to keep everyone happy, just because Maven
> can't include a simple JAR that is not in a repository.

Perhaps this has changed, because while I was debugging a problem with
getting the junit tests to run, I found it necessary to temporarily exclude
certain maven dependency generated JARs and explicitly include a local
non-repository JAR. This was possible in the surefire plugin by using:

<classpathDependencyExcludes>

<classpathDependencyExclude>org.apache.xmlgraphics:batik-*</classpathDependencyExclude>
</classpathDependencyExcludes>
<additionalClasspathElements>
  <additionalClasspathElement>${fop.lib.dir}/batik-all-1.7.jar
</additionalClasspathElement>
</additionalClasspathElements>

I'll admit this is a bit verbose expression-wise, but it did the job.

Perhaps some of your bad experiences derive from its growing pains. On the
other hand, now that I am looking, I don't see the same configuration
options on the compiler plugin. This kind of inconsistency is one I find in
ant as well; e.g., support for if/unless clauses seems particularly
inconsistent in ant tasks. For example, the lack of if/unless on the <echo>
task requires all kinds of strange work arounds.

G.