As far as kerning is concerned, for the existing TTF and OTF support,
positioning is handled at the TextLayoutManager layer in combination with
rendering instructions through the IF rendering layer. Prior to
Temp_ComplexScripts (and current in the trunk), kerning is performed only
when a 'kern' table is present and has not been disabled. With the addition
of the GPOS table support in Temp_ComplexScripts, a very rich set of
context-sensitive kerning (in both X and Y axes) is supported. If a font has
a GPOS table, then any 'kern' table is ignored.

>From what I can tell, the CFF data primarily is related to outline
presentations, which themselves have no relationship to kerning per se. So,
the question seems one of how to employ the CFF outline representations in
an OTF/CFF context, and how to pass through that outline data for embedding
in the resultant PDF. Is that your understanding as well?

Regards,
Glenn