Glenn Adams wrote:

From what I can tell, the CFF data primarily is related to outline presentations, which themselves have no relationship to kerning per se. So, the question seems one of how to employ the CFF outline representations in an OTF/CFF context, and how to pass through that outline data for embedding in the resultant PDF. Is that your understanding as well?

Embedding is easy, just copy over the CFF table as-is. Subsetting is more slightly more difficult, it's either rebuild a smaller CFF table or create a Type1 font from the chasrstrings. CFF fonts with CID data are another matter, but could probably just be passed thru to the existing CID stuff. For WinANSI that's all you need.

Getting a proper multibyte mapping of the non-CID stuff is where I'm at. All of the existing multibyte bits in FOP assume CID. Actually, the PDF docs seem to as well to some extent. I think I can get away with stuffing GIDs into the cmap? Quartz seems to include a differences table and a tounicode table for this font while properly identifying it as a Type1C.

Exposing the rest of the data is trivial. It's all going to be index or dict format.

- alex