Glenn Adams wrote:

From what I can tell, the CFF data primarily is related to outline presentations, which themselves have no relationship to kerning per se. So, the question seems one of how to employ the CFF outline representations in an OTF/CFF context, and how to pass through that outline data for embedding in the resultant PDF. Is that your understanding as well?

Okay, I've attached my second pass at this. An /extremely/ naive CFF parser is included to handle the Unicode bits. This should embed the CFF table into the PDF (fine with 1.2 or 1.3+ I believe), and sets up the mappings between the font's glyph names and unicode indexes… thus allowing the single byte additional encoding stuff to do its thing. FOP did/does this with a separate Font dictionary referencing the same font-file, but with a ToUnicode entry attached. It'll break for glyphs that reference more than one unicode index.

I used U+2190 and U+2196 as test cases. In the font I used (FF Zwo OT Light) one uses a name that matches up fine with the proper unicode entity name, one does not. One was giving me a box, one was working with no effort. Now, they both work.

Oh… right… this time I fixed the Type1/Type1C references so that Acrobat will "properly" see this as a Type1C font and you'll get the neat red "a" logo. It worked before, but Acrobat was mystified as to what type of font this really was.

- alex