At 4:10 pm +0100 9/2/02, Joerg Pietschmann wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (ewitness - Ben Fowler) wrote:
Yes, you can use &#number;, and this sometimes proves easier.

I'm not sure want you are trying to say... Do you still edit your XML files with a plain text editor?

[ snip ]

 > I don't suppose that SKS could post a short complete file which
 > would have this as its meat.
 >       <para>&ldquo;Hello World!&rdquo;</para>

OK I was in error in expecting you to do my work for me. I am trying to write something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE example [
<!ENTITY ldquo "&#x201C;"> <!-- -->
<!ENTITY rdquo "&#x201D;"> <!-- RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK -->
]>
<example>
<title>A Canonical Greeting</title>
<para>&ldquo;Hello World!&rdquo;</para>
</example>

Which is an XML document having a root element (as it must), and
some very simple content.

Less usually, I want to declare some ENTITYs in the internal subset
so I that I can use them without specifying an external subset.

When I try to parse it with ElfData XML Editor

        XML-Validity: Your XML is a well-formed document, but it
        conflicts with the DTD:

        Invalid DOCTYPE tag. The root 'example' specified in the
        DOCTYPE, was not defined in the DTD.

(I get the same error if I have no structure to the root
element, as:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>

<!DOCTYPE para  [
        <!ENTITY ldquo       "&#x201C;"> <!--  -->
        <!ENTITY rdquo       "&#x201D;"> <!-- RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK -->
]>

<para>&ldquo;Hello World!&rdquo;</para>
).

My problem being "What DTD?". Sure, I declare that my document
is of type example, and use that as the root element, but I never
specify what a document's being an 'example' means beyond how
I have uses tags and other content within it. Personally, I wouldn't
recognise the DOCTYPE tag as invalid, see
more useful <URL: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/faqs/xml_faq_validwf >,
but I may be wrong.

When I try to parse this document with SAX, I get this
error,
SystemId Unknown; Line 0; Column 0; SystemId Unknown; Line 0; Column 0; SAX Exception

which again again I thought was odd, because I specifically didn't have
SystemId (but that is consistent in a blunt sort of way with the SystemId's
being unknown). I could easily have written the DOCTYPE as
        <!DOCTYPE example SYSTEM "./docbookx.dtd">
which is most precisely which I did not want to do. (SAX does
parse (correctly) the elided version).

In short, how do I best declare ENTITYs in a standalone XML
document?

If you wish, you could point me to a page reference in either the
Chick book, or the Duck book as I have both beside me.

Ben