-----Original Message-----
From: ewitness - Ben Fowler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: February 11, 2002 1:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Entity references in FOP

[ snip ]

<reply>
Your XML doc is well-formed but how can it be valid? That is what your XML
editor is complaining about, and presumably you are running SAX with
validation also. Certainly if you run a parse with no validation then there
are no complaints (well, at least that is the case for me).

The entity references are a side issue. If you are going to use validation
then you must describe the entire XML vocabulary, because that is the
meaning of "valid".
</reply>

That is all very much to the point. Thank you

If I could indpendently turn off validation, then I could
have general entities without a DTD. In other words, general
entities in a well formed document irrespective of validity.

I certainly understand that everything I have tried
so far needs to be presented with a 'description of the
entire XML grammar', and this is my sticking point.

Ben.